perjantai 24. helmikuuta 2012

DIY modular project (Case)

My DIY modular project moves forward slowly, but surely. I did choose  Eurorack format for my weapon of choice mainly, because few of  my friends also builds DIY Eurorack modules, so we can share information and of course do some group buys for different components like pots, jacks etc.. and also there is quite massive collection of commercial modules available.

I already have finished couple of modules like LFOs, multiples(passive and buffered) and several different modules is almost done like VCAs, ADSRs and Oscillator.

At the moment i´m building case for my system. I found these new 3 U  rack-mountable cases (Eurorack compatible) from local internet auction site. Seller had 3 of those, so i bought them all. Only 18 € per each, so 54 € for 9 U system is not bad,  including  all the hardware i need to mount my modules.
For powering everything i bought Doepfer A-100 DIY Kit 1 (114€) and also i had to buy some L-profiled aluminium and some 6 cm wide aluminium strip, so i can install more easily  Doepfer bus boards back of the   case.
I probably going to build nice 19 inch hardwood rack for this system, but future plans in mind, i try to connect everything to this 9 U aluminum case so i can easily move it to bigger case in future if needed.

So far i have spent roughly 200 € for this case and  even if i put 50-60 € more doing this hard wood rack for it, it´s still going to be cheaper than any 9 U commercial case available. Not to mention it´s going to be hard wood and not any plywood or plastic.

Some building photos....

Making markings for drilling holes.

Drilling done. I´m quite happy with results considering i used basic hand drill for drilling holes.

I didn´t have any spacers around, so i had to do my own. I had this 6 mm wide aluminum tube which was perfect for making spacers. Simple but effective way cutting is using stopper to get same length pieces.

Assembly, screws, nuts and washers.

Work done. Next i had to install these to frame.

 Bus boars in their place. There is also drilled holes for third bus board if i want to add one more later. Doepfer´s kit only contained 2 bus boards.

Top view

Next i have to install power supply. Probably i´m going to use same method as i used for bus boards, but let see. Also i´m thinking to add XLR connectors between transformer and power supply, so transformer would be removable.....

Edit 27.4.2012

Installing XLR connectors and power supply. I used this same 6 cm wide aluminum strip which was wide enough to house power supply. 25 mm hole for XLR connector was little bit harder task to do, because i didn´t have any this caliber drill bit. I had this small metal saw which worked pretty nicely for this job. Not a perfect hole, but good enough.

Parts ready for soldering. Power supply already mounted to panel.

XLR connector installed. Green/yellow cable is for grounding.

All done! Time to fire system up.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti